Weekly round-up of yummi-news from around london and the blogosphere. Now released every Sunday and brought to you by a London eater.
Apologising for the lack of eater news, introducing the midweek quirkers and watching boris johnson not turn left in the reasonably priced car.
eating happenings here on london eater
I couldnt do it. I could not go two weeks without an edition of eat&read. Once again, I missed the boat yesterday due to a number of excuses which I’m not going to list here. Lets just say, life is good and I’m glad that Chrissymas is coming 🙂
(that’s right I said chri-ssy-mas.)
I’ll be honest, things have been slowing down alittle bit here at the moment, chirssymas parties, get togethers etc.. have kind of cut into my eating time, hence the reviewing slowing to a trickle. I am working on it to get things back on track, but hey, it’s the holidays, I’m sure you feel where I’m coming from.
I’d like to make a few apologies to foodproof and jessie, I’m still working on the guest posts guys, do bear with me, I’m not making any promises on time, but I will get them out to you soon enough!
So I reshuffled the side bars (look to your right; rss readers – do pay the site a visit) – what do you think? I un-hid the search buttons and put the calendar in the top fold for your convenience really. Is it ok guys?
Considering the situation, I was glad that I still managed to get five posts out last week, with the introduction of a new series too:
- A recession proof lunch at wild honey lets face it, the economy is hitting everyone right now. Even if it hasn’t yet – there’s the fear that it just might. Chomp! That doesnt mean that my tummy should suffer though, wild honey was my sole eating adventure last week, but it’s the quality , not price and not quantity that counts.
- Christmas gift ideas for the merry Come on, I had to do it. I threw in a few worthy foodie ideas in there, but seriously how can anyone resist a realistic robotic chick, a mini cactus, a personalised portrait of mini pictures and a self contained eco-system?!
- introducing the midweek eating quirker Do you ever sit there on a wednesday afternoon mashing buttons on the keyboard and think to yourself ‘WHY?’ . Fear not, london eater is aiming to bring some foodie quirkiness to lift the gloom from your afternoon gloom.
- Brussels Sprout ice cream (midweek eating quirker) this is part of the christmas menu at vivat bacchus, created by chef stuart ferguson. What are you waiting for? Check out the link now.
- A donkey lift to the new real greek (midweek eating quirker) The real greek opened a new branch at spitafields last weekend and to mark the occasion, demitris the donkey taxi-ed diners to the restaurant. As they say, any publicity is good publicity.
london happenings around the smoke
- Min jiang, the new hakkasan? Chinese food in london is superiorly crap. It used to be ok, places like ’97 in chinatown used to do the best hainanese chicken rice; but over the years, quality has slowly but surely decreased. Even the venerable hakkasan succumbed when they took away the cucuber wrapped lobster rolls (how could you alan, HOW?!) Is min jiang the revival of chinese in london? Who knows, the prices are keeping me from making a visit at the moment. Maybe next month.
- london’s most hidden landmarks apparently, they are right next to each other and can be found near tower bridge. Too vague, check out the video already.
- goldfish hampstead apparently this chinese restaurant in north london is a godsend. Candice loves it and matt norman gave it 9.95 out of 10. It’s on my to eat-list, maybe it should be on yours too?
reading happenings around the community
- Boris Johnson on Top Gear How many of you caught the london mayor on top gear last night? Can I just say, he was just awesome – he’s funny and goofy, yet he has this kind of innocent charm that actually makes the (eccentrically) perfect person to run London. See the vid below:
- knit night cupcakes stumbled upon this at vegan yum yum and i just have to say it looks very cool. Knitwear made of marzipan decorated over cupcakes. Do have a look here.
- lootie + doof this is a delicious food blog from chicago where they write about cooking, hosting and the politics of food. It’s simple site design is so attractive ( Im big on minimalism ) and their latest post is a recipe for the perfect dollop of creme fraiche ice cream, yum.
- cooking… by the seat of my pants! this guy wings it as everything he cooks blatantly neglects any recipes whatsoever. Ah, the true spirit of the low cost independent blogger. Free your mind man.
coming to a screen near you
I paid a visit to hibiscus and that review will be unleashed in the next few days. I’m going to (finally) write part seven to conclude my wine guide series, aiming to make my first guest blog spot at simply scrumptious and finally write about my welsh trip … which was, oh gosh about three months ago?
I’ll keep you posted folks, have a great start to the week, chrissymas is not far away so do make sure you have your red sweater handy.