Weekly round-up of yummi-news from around london and the blogosphere. Now released every Sunday and brought to you by a London eater.
Eating tapas, upping my twittering campaign and watching Daniel Craig brood his way into a quantum of solace.
eating happenings here on London Eater
This has been a relatively slow week and I got to say, most of you have forsaken me for your Halloween plans ( thanks for coming back to read this 😀 ) . Hope you guys had a great ( and spooky ) time. I went to see Quantum of Solace last night and I gotta say, Daniel Craig is probably my favourite bond right now. He’s not conventional, but he’s created a new kind of Bond who’s you know, edgy. I don’t know if it’s just me, I think Craig’s take on playing a Bond who’s still learning how to be ‘Bond’ but still can’t seem to grapple how the ‘half-monk half hit-man’ concept works, is subtle, but well done. Heaps of emotions happening beneath those man boobs. On the other hand, Olga Kurylenko… WOW. She is stunning. Go watch the new James Bond, it’s pretty good.
Over here at London Eater, I produced little more than three posts this week:
- Soho Tapas I went to Barrafina in soho which is a tapas bar in the truest sense, it’s a great little eatery and definitely a must-eat, read the review here.
- Gourmet Burgers I’m running a loose series of burger eats and my third outing is the crowd favourite Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Supersized burgers and shakes (oreo no less) , check the review here.
- Pairing wine with Food The quickie wine guide rolls on and is now in part four! In this edition, we talk about pairing food with wine, go have a look here.
Most of you will not know that I’m actually on twitter too, although, I don’t twit enough. However, starting today, things are going to change. It’s part of my slow (but steady) progression into social networking, I think I’ve come to grips with stumbleupon, and now I’m moving to increase my presence on twitter. You can follow me here, make sure you friend me up so I can follow you too 😀
london happenings around the Smoke
There’s actually quite alot of foodie related events coming up in the following weeks, here’s some where I plan to go to , if you’re interested in coming along, do let me know guys:
- The BBC Good food show Last week I blogged about this, which will be held at Olympia and is allegedly going to be the ultimate gourmet food show in London. I’m going on the 15th, it’s only about £16 general entry and I’m looking for people to drag with me. If you’re planning on attending too, do let me know, I’m excited about this, Heston Blumenthal will be there, Saturday morning kitchen James Martin is going to be there and luscious lips Nigella Lawson will be there too. Here for details.
- French wine growers fair is occurring on between 21st and 23rd November 08 in barbican and lets you meet wine growers and taste 500 wines all for a measley £10! I’m going on the saturday ( 22nd ) and will swallow more than spit. If you’re going, let me know too. Read here for more info.
- Westfield Shopping mall, Whitecity I somehow missed the grand opening on thursday which had Leona Lewis belting out in the atrium and Danielle Bux parading for La Senza. Well, I’m heading over there this afternoon do give us a shout if you’re planning to go too! Here for details.
- Hyde park Winter Wonderland I still find it unbelievable that it snowed for the first time in october for more than 70 years. I managed to miss this last year, so I will need to go this year. Apparently, it features an authentic german christmas market, complete with german sausages and christmas sweets. Starts November 22nd and lasts till early January. Read all about it here.
reading happenings around the community
- Italy in SF Who loves italian food? I know I do, Vanessa who runs the excellent Italy in SF is on a mission to find the best italian eateries in the bay area, in this post, she pays a visit to Pizzeria Delfina.. oh that picture of the Napoletana with the parma ham on top …. gosh you gotta read it.
- My last bite Foodbuzz is great for finding delicious foodie blogs. I found My last bite last night while stumbling along, in addition to an ultra clean design, she hates negative reviews and only writes about all the good stuff she eats, I cannot agree more with that concept. Read Jo’s latest super grouper dinner post here.
- World in a wok Found another new foodblog here called the world in a wok. Think it’s a cool blog name where a former expat brat writes about food and musings, from Thailand as, you’d guessed it, an expat.
- Zesty Cook I’m up for spaghetti! People are always blogging about the latest and greatest but sometimes, it’s nice to return to the basics. Cory whipped out a great one on spaghetti, check out the classic already.
- The Hungry Mouse Im going to try this five minute cake recipe at work tomorrow morning , Jessie over at the hungry mouse generously shared this recipe with us, 2 minutes to whip and 3 minutes in the nuke. Here’s hoping I don’t kill any of colleagues.
There will be more eating next week, so expect more reviews from Maze, wild honey and a heroic sushi bar in ealing common. I also upgraded my lenses (for my camera) , so I’m hoping my pictures will turn out better, but you can be the judge of that. Have a great end to the week folks.